Marketing is an essential business function that needs to permeate all aspects of an accounting firm. It is a process: a series of steps and activities, a journey rather than a destination.
An increasing number of firms are hiring a marketing director and recognising the need to commit to and “armour” the marketing function to ensure that there is a total ongoing commitment.
If you are planning to appoint a marketing director you must be prepared to:
- Make the financial commitment not just by way of salary but also the attributable revenue budget that will go with the appointment.
- Allow the new marketing director the full control and responsibility for marketing.
- Celebrate, applaud and recognise the authority of the marketing director – make sure they have your full support.
- Make sure your marketing director is involved in the budget program and planning processes.
And avoid these common pitfalls:
- A lack of recognition of the marketing director’s importance and consequently a lack of support for him/her.
- A lack of adequate authority, knowledge and administrative support. Make sure that the marketing director understands the mindset of those in the accounting industry.
- Isolation: Make sure the marketing director is not left stranded on his/her own.
- Impatience: It is essential to make a long term commitment to the marketing director’s role – success will rarely be instant. For this reason the marketing director should be encouraged to engage in self-evaluation.